Welcome to Houston Eating Disorders Specialists › Forums › Houston Eating Disorders Specialists Forum › Reminder: Getting “Inside Out and Outside In” is This Saturday, March 27th
- This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 2 years, 2 months ago by Houston Eating Disorders Specialists.
March 25, 2021 at 9:14 am #2609Houston Eating Disorders SpecialistsKeymaster
Getting “Inside Out and Outside In” the Relational Montage of an Eating Disorder
Presented by Jean Petrucelli, PhD
Date: 03/27/2021, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Co-sponsored by Houston Psychoanalytic Society, Houston Group Psychotherapy Society, and Houston Eating Disorder Specialists, this conference will be held via Zoom. Login details will be sent after registration.
HPS, HGPS, HEDS Members: $140
Much contemporary psychodynamic/psychoanalytic thinking focuses on how to allow patients to voice threatening aspects of self and body, often not encoded in words. For those suffering from eating disorders, disavowed longings are experienced as insatiable, powerful, and dangerous, with an excess of energy and self invested in vigilantly measuring ways of living which lack spontaneity, creativity, or play. Symptoms concretize and defend against the danger inherent in any intimate exchange, which requires tolerance for uncertainty and vulnerability, beyond these patients’ reach. Using clinical material, a detailed, practical exploration of how one works psychodynamically/psychoanalytically with adult ED patients beyond symptom alleviation will be explored. Understanding cultural influence, neurobiology, attachment theory, self regulation, affect regulation, self-states, body-states, and the intergenerational transmission of body image issues will be considered as it appears in individual and group treatment.
- Describe interpersonal perspectives in the treatment of anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorders.
- Explain eating disordered patients’ capacities to self soothe and regulate internal experience, then work more effectively with the relational component of the eating disorder as it plays out in treatment and in the world.
- Describe the concept of dissociation and at least one dimension of the theory related to its use in clinical work with patients with eating disorders.
Explain how disordered eating is the psychic inability to care for one’s self and to make better clinical use of this perspective through the contexts of attachment, self-state and body-state theory, self -regulation and affect regulation issues.
- Describe how to apply action-oriented techniques to enhance clinical treatment with patients with eating disorders.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.